2011 was a pretty chill and mostly uneventful year. (Well, aside from finding out we’ve got a son on the way in 2012. That’s pretty big.)
I actually don’t have much in the way of commentary to share, so let’s just get into the series of lists that do a surprisingly good job of capturing the year at a glance.
2012 will be the year I finally get done most of the stuff I vowed to do in 2009.
The Year, By Month
- The year starts.
- F you, Mozy. Hi there, Crashplan!
- Found a five-year-old item in the fridge that read “use within 30 days of opening.”
- Returned a library item I’d renewed 23 times and had checked out for ten months.
- Huyen found a dog, had to have her scanned (collar, not tagged, but microchipped). She lived about six houses down.
- My parents’ cat stayed with us for a month.
- Trip to NY for Pint show, visit to 5 Pointz, hang with bro-in-law, etc..
- Rasine’s unsuccessful soccer camp.
- Reading Sesame Street with Rasine sparked a conversation about punk music.
- New dishwasher gaskets!
- Italian zombies night at Dave’s.
- Rasine cut her hair.
- Wrote my first full-length album review in years.
- Won the ex.fm contest.
- Bought my first smartphone. Entered 2007.
- Goats walked on car.
- Rasine finishes preschool (& recital).
- Started a new blog.
- Relaunched laze.net with a new look for the first time in eight years.
- Woke up with a tick in my back, plucked it, left the head in, had to take a trip to the doc.
- Another pair of dogs found and returned home. The owners never said thanks.
- The world didn’t end.
- NYC with fam & Huyen’s fam.
- Saw the Miss New York contestants on the Staten Island Ferry.
- Returned to the abandoned snack shack and Dixontown Road house.
- Guy I know is on Hoarders.
- 13 years.
- The Great Hard Drive Drop of 2011.
- One Sentence turns five.
- Matt’s wedding.
- Earthquake in VA.
- Tenth anniversary.
- Another non-event jury duty.
- Rasine turns five. B-day party at the Tally Ho movie theatre days before their 80th anniversary.
- We find out that baby #2 is on the way.
- Tenth anniversary trip to Woodstock.
- Pulled over for a dead headlight (I got away without a ticket).
- I turn 36.
- The Fly/Dawn of the Dead.
- Rasine as Tin Woodman for Halloween.
- Hurt my knee running.
- New projects.
- MOMs in Herndon opens.
- The world still doesn’t end.
- Sold a DVD on Amazon for $25.
- Nene’s wedding.
- Rasine snuck Halloween candy. As a result, so did Shepp.
- Election Day 2011.
- Visit from the in-laws.
- The best holiday in recent memory.
Favorite Teas of the Year
This year I had the opportunity to try a lot of new teas, like some Hawaii-Grown White Tea that I bought directly from the farmer. Or some Royal Purple Tea from Kenya (their “Moonlight White” was also a very nice surprise). I also tried the best Japanese Gyokuro that I’ve ever had this year. Plus, I rediscovered some old classics, like Bi Luo Chun, Wenshan Baozhong Formosa oolong, and a good Da Hong Pao Wuyi oolong.
TV Shows from the Past That I Discovered This year and Liked
- 10 Items or Less
- Party Down
- Shaun the Sheep
- The Bill Cosby Show
Based solely on the folks I RIP’ed on Twitter. People I knew personally in bold. Dates are when I tweeted, not the actual death date.
- 1/24: Jack LaLane
- 2/27: Lana Cokos
- 3/4: Steve Glaspey
- 3/7: Mike DeStefano
- 5/28: Gil Scott Heron
- 6/2: Geronimo Pratt
- 7/12: Sherwood Schwartz
- 7/25: Amy Winehouse
- 10/5: Steve Jobs
- 11/9: Heavy D
- 11/9: David Hess
- 12/16: Christopher Hitchens
- 12/17: Cesaria Evoria
- 12/26: Sam Rivers
Books I Finished Reading
In order finished.
- The Myth of Multitasking: How “Doing It All” Gets Nothing Done by Dave Crenshaw
- Zombie Spaceship Wasteland: A Book by Patton Oswalt by Patton Oswalt (audiobook version)
- Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen by Shunryu Suzuki
- The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate by Susan K Greenland
- The Vegan Revolution… with Zombies by David Agranoff
- A Confession by Leo Tolstoy
- Edible Secrets: A Food Tour of Classified US History by Michael Hoerger
- Where the Hell Am I?: Trips I Have Survived by Ken Levine
- A Widow’s Story: A Memoir by Joyce Carol Oates
- 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth (And Other Useful Guides) by Matthew Inman
- Fuzzy Logic Get Fuzzy 2 by Darby Conley
- 1975 and the Changes to Come by Arnold Barach
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (with Rasine)
- I Found This Funny: My Favorite Pieces of Humor and Some That May Not Be Funny At All by Judd Apatow
- Beware Dangerism! (Kindle Single) by Gever Tulley
- Land of the Lost Souls: My Life on the Streets by Cadillac Man
- Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty: Poems by Tony Hoagland
- Free-Range Chickens by Simon Rich
- Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide by Sayward Rebhal
- Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris
- The Five by Robert McCammon
- Nothing Is Hidden: Essays on Zen Master Dogen’s Instructions for the Cook by Shohaku Okumura
- The Issue At Hand: Essays On Buddhist Mindfulness Practice by Gil Fronsdal
- Mile 81 (Kindle Single) by Stephen King
Total number of books finished: 24 (one more than 2010)
Long/challenging books: 8
Books in progress at the end of the year: 3 (plus the second book of Oz with Rasine)
Movies I Watched and Re-watched
In order watched.
- Last House on the Left (2009), The (2009)
- I Think We’re Alone Now (2008)
- High and Low (11/26/1963 (USA))
- Dave Chapelle’s Block Party (2005)
- Still Bill (2009)
- Coca-Cola Kid, The (1985)
- Coraline (2009)
- In the Footsteps of M. Hulot (1989)
- Idiocracy (2006)
- Bed & Board (1970)
- Horrible (1981)
- Autism: The Musical (2007)
- Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)
- Happy Feet (2006)
- Parking Lot Movie, The (2010)
- Toy Story 3 (2010)
- Piranha (2010)
- Hell of the Living Dead (1980)
- Stripes (1981)
- Zombie (8/25/1979)
- Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
- Toy Story 3 (2010)
- True Story of WrestleMania: Vol. 1, The (2010)
- Scream 4 (2011)
- C.H.O.M.P.S. (1979)
- Into the Pit (2009)
- Scooby-Doo! Abracadabra-Doo (2010)
- Babies (2010)
- Bridesmaids (2011)
- How to Die in Oregon (2011)
- Season of the Witch (1972)
- Darwin’s Nightmare (2004)
- Martian Chronicles, The (1980)
- Dreams (1990)
- Madagascar (2005)
- Menace II Soceity (1993)
- Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
- Illusionist, The (2010)
- Jerk, The (1979)
- Disturbia (2007)
- 127 Hours (2010)
- Made in U.S.A (1966)
- April Fool’s Day (1986)
- Winnie the Pooh (2011)
- Synecdoche, New York (2008)
- Wizard of Oz, The (1939)
- Femme Mariée, Une (1964)
- Critters (1986)
- L’Ann&´e dernière à Marienbad (1961)
- Phantasm IV: Oblivion (1998)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (7/15/2011)
- I Saw the Devil (2010)
- Protagonist (2007)
- Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)
- Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975)
- 13 Assassins (2010)
- The House of the Devil (2009)
- Bad Sleep Well, The (1960)
- Across 110th Street (1972)
- If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front (2011)
- Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (2011)
- Fox and the Hound, The (1981)
- Conquest (1983)
- Ossuary and Other Tales, The (1964)
- TrollHunter (2010)
- Beat Street (1984)
- Back to the Future Part II (1989)
- Tony Takitani (2004)
- Dawn of the Dead (1978)
- Fly, The (1986)
- Boogeyman, The (1980)
- Mutants (2009)
- Twelve and Holding (2005)
- Halloween H20 (1998)
- Funhouse, The (1981)
- Big (1988)
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (12/1/1989)
- Trick ‘r Treat (2008)
- I Am Comic (2010)
- Comedians of Comedy, The (2005)
- Machete Maidens Unleashed! (2010)
- Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975, The (2011)
- Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (1977)
- Muppet Family Christmas (uncut), A (1987)
- Super 8 (2011)
Average year: 1994
Average rating: 3.39